Now that I'm feeling like a human again, I've started imagining what our child's nursery will look like. I've looked at cribs and gliders, paint chips and carpet samples and thought that I had a general idea of what I want...
Until I visited a local baby furniture store, where I was told I *had* to purchase this Baby Bargains book before making any significant purchases. I walked down the sidewalk to Borders and picked up a copy and it has now shattered all of my preconceived ideas about nursery furniture, specifically cribs. It has lots of fantastic reviews and more information than I could ever want or ask for. I'm very glad to have it, but it has made the whole process much more difficult.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated if you have experience in the area. Drop side crib v. fixed rail. Pricey v. frugal. Convertible v. standard. Which items to invest in and which ones don't need to be top of the line.
P.S. Writing a blog entry makes me feel like Doogie Howser, M.D. and now I have the theme song stuck in my head.
ok, an absolute must have is at least 5 swaddle me blankets! we could not live without ours with either kid. as far as furniture... we went frugal or hand-me-down with everything and have not been sad at all about that decision. we do have a convertible crib, but have yet to convert it b/c as soon as it was empty, it was full again :).....
ReplyDeleteas far as swings, i HIGHLY recommend one that goes both front to back and side to side. ethan loves to go side to side, but hates to go the "regular way". he will spent an obscene amount of time in the swing if he's going side to side, 2 minutes (tops!) if it is going front to back.
hope this helps!
Invest in a good glider and a good swing! Ditto or the multi swinging swing. We used swaddle me blankets as well. Mary Margaret was a little Houdini and had to be wrapped in that and then a blanket over that...
ReplyDeleteWe splurged a little on the crib and I do love it but I probably could have had a less expensive one and been just as happy...just don't tell Andrew.
Oh, and also recommend a diaper bag that washes. I have a Vera Bradley bag(not their version diaper bag) that I just throw in the wash. It has been great!